July 2016 – Rehab and Wellness Connection
Post-Operative Physical Therapy
The majority of people I know like to be prepared for things in life; if you're taking a road trip you want to have your car checked out and a full tank of gas. Even if you're just going shopping you make sure you have your form of payment with you and probably even a list; maybe even in the order you want to shop at different stores. If we pay this much attention to detail in things we do often, doesn't it make sense to prepare in the best way possible if you're going to have orthopedic surgery on your body?
Post-operative physical therapy is key to good surgical outcomes and return to function. In recent years, we have learned that "pre-hab" can help patients achieve even greater recovery and success! What is prehabilitation? As defined by researchers in our field of Physical Therapy, prehabilitation is the process of "preparing an individual to withstand a stressful event through enhancement of functional capacity." Insurance companies are realizing the benefits of prehabilitation and are now reimbursing for these types of services as well.
Prehab Physical Therapy prior to an orthopedic surgical event has shown many benefits and proven results:
- Preparedness in building the muscles that will be required during recovery; especially of a knee surgery, making return to mobility/function quicker
- Preparedness in using any assistive devices such as crutches or walkers in a proper manner
- Managing patient expectations in a more realistic manner which helps the patient to keep a positive outlook during recovery and rehabilitation
- Being able to develop a positive rapport between patient and physical therapist and building good rehab habits has proven to be priceless
- Prehab has shown that psychologically, patients who were more prepared for the surgery and post-operative rehab and outcomes, performed better in post-op rehab and had greater results
- Working with a physical therapist prior to surgery ensures post-operative appointments are already scheduled appropriately and return to function is on schedule too!
- In many cases studied on the value of prehab, research showed that even a small amount of prehab therapy sessions reduced payments for post-operative care such as skilled nursing or home health agency care.
If you or someone you know is a candidate for surgery for hip, knee or shoulder. Give us a call to set up your pre-rehab physical therapy. Our skilled staff will work with your physician to determine the best plan of care for you to help you achieve the best results possible. We will verify your insurance benefits prior to your first visit…then our total focus can be on you returning to function!
The staff at Clear Lake Physical Therapy & Rehab Specialists would love to have you stop by for a visit and check us out at 417 3rd Avenue in Clear Lake or give us a call at 715-263-4103. We will be more than happy to assist you with any Physical Therapy questions you may have.